Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Adventures of a PCA

"Patient Care Associate," that is my label. I have now been working at Deaconess Hospital for about a month. I am proud to say my title includes: taking vital signs, wiping butts, giving baths, turning patients, draining ostomy tubes and hemovacs, testing glucose, inserting catheters, discontinuing IV's, charting patient information, administering postmortem care and other random tasks.

While many of you are probably grossed out already, I am intrigued by my job each and every day. There is never an uneventful day on OMCC (Orthomedical Care Center.) We see it all...we receive patients from all floors due to the fact that we are the largest floor at the hospital. Most of our patients are 50 or older; however, we see the occasional younger patient from an automobile/motorcycle/atv accident. When I applied for the job, I did not want to work with the elderly. Through my experience thus far, I have gained a whole new respect for them and have discovered they are some of the most interesting people I will probably ever meet.

One lady's life has truly impacted me. She was so cute...92 years old and on complete bedrest. She was receiving oxygen and her lungs were filling up with fluid quickly. The doctor informed her family she was not going to make it much longer. Her husband of 70 years (he is 88) spent a whole day by her side, holding her hand. After her family left for what would be the last time, I spent some time in her room. I bathed her, cleaned her mouth, changed her sheets and put lotion on her frail body. She could not speak to me or give me any direction of how she wanted to be cared for, but I could see it in her eyes. I could sense her contentment. I talked to her, ran my fingers through her hair, and silently prayed. I eagerly waited until my next shift to see the woman I had previously connected with, only to find a new patient was occupying her room. She died that same evening I had spent time with her. Thank you Lord for being the Ultimate Comforter!

The one thing I love most about my job is that I am able to share the love of Christ with my patients and coworkers. I get the opportunity every day to impact someone else's life with my attitude. I can be different. I can rejoice in the day that God has given me and go to work with a smile on my face. I have received the assignment from Christ to be His hands to these patients, and I feel honored to meet their needs day in and day out.
Psalm 90:14,17
Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love,
that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us;
Establish the work of our hands for us-
yes, establish the work of our hands.

I pray my patients see Christ through me in everything I do. I pray the touch of my hand and the sound of my voice gives them a glimpse of Christ's comfort and love. I pray His joy, compassion, and gentle spirit are seen in me. Lord, I know you are standing with me beside each bed as I care for these patients. Help me to understand the pain of my patients and provide accurate care. I will willingly serve you all of my days!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are so very beautiful. how lucky am i to be your mom.

Angela said...

Totally takes a special person to wipe other people's butts. I don't see how ya do it but I'm glad somebody out there does it. Butt's need wiping!!

Praying that God continues to use you in your new job. Keep up the great work. Let your light shine!!!

megan haug said...

i'm glad you are enjoying your job!! it definatel a special person!!

you're setting a HUGE example by your attitude...it will be noticed by your co-workers as well as patients. the love of Christ shines through you, ash!

Gail said...

You are the perfect person for this job, if I were in the hospital, I would LOVE to see your smiling face and hear the love of Christ in the sound of your voice!

Thanks for hearing His call!!