Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Laugh, Cry, Pray

A nurse told me today, "I tell families three things: First of all, I'm going to laugh with them. Second, I'm going to cry with them. And then I'm going to pray with them. And if they don't like that, I'm going to do it behind their back."

I was able to experience all three with the wonderful husband of one of my patients. Her health started to deteriorate Saturday afternoon. She began seizing and became unresponsive and no one was really sure why. She was taken to the Neuro ICU where they finally decided she is experiencing kidney failure from too many medications. She was still unresponsive today when I stopped down in the ICU.

I laughed with her family many times last week while she was a patient on my floor.
I cried with her husband today while he swaddled me, as if I was the one that needed to be comforted. And we prayed...
There is nothing quite like connecting through prayer. The Lord was present in that room!! He is Jehovah Rapha (the God that heals).

3 comments:

megan haug said...

thats so awesome that you get to experience these things! your job is so much more that just a job to you....i love that.

angela said...

He is the God that heals! praise Him! keep up the good work, friend!

Angela said...

You were truly meant to be a nurse. Your passion for your job shines brightly the love of Christ. You are amazing...and your eyebrows look great too... :)